Frequently Asked Questions
The JP Maguire team has been dealing with losses such as fires, water, wind damage, and mold for over 35 years. This is what we do and we recognize that for our customers this is a once in a lifetime experience that they hope they will never have to go through again. Having as much information as possible ahead of time will not only help you better understand what JP Maguire does and the process, but will hopefully ease your mind in knowing that Connecticut’s most reliable and experienced restoration contractor is on the job.
Q: What are the first steps I should take following a loss (Fire, water , wind damage)?
A: After your family is safe immediately contact your insurance company and advise them of the loss and the extent of the damage. In many instances your home will have suffered significant damage and emergency services will need to be performed to mitigate any further damage. This may include boarding up broken windows, tarping holes in your roof, or removing excess water. These Emergency Services are required by your insurance company and are expressly written into your policy. They do not cost you anything out of pocket and are covered by your policy
Q: After I am let back into my home what items do I keep in my possession?
Q: What do I do about clothing for me and my family?
Q: What happens to the rest of the property in my home?
Q: Can I clean my home and contents myself?
Q: Do I need a general contractor?
Q: Do I need to get several quotes before proceeding with reconstruction?
Q: What is mold?
Q: When is it necessary to test for mold?
• You smell a musty odor in the home (a musty odor is almost always caused by some sort of mold).
• Your home has recently been flooded (mold frequently begins to grow after a home has been flooded).
• You discover mold in one area of the home (mold spreads quickly and easily throughout a home, so if you have mold in one part of the home, we recommend testing the rest of the home in case the mold has spread).
• You or another member of your household have symptoms of mold-related health problems, such as chronic sinus infections, chronic sore throats, frequent headaches, coughing, wheezing, unexplained rashes or hives, or unexplained fatigue.
• You may also want to have your home tested for mold if you or another member of your household has a health condition that can be made worse by exposure to mold, such as asthma, severe environmental allergies, respiratory disorders, or immune system disorders.